Friday, January 31, 2014

Smoky Roasted Cauliflower

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • Smoked Paprika
  • Olive oil
  • Sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


Directions:

Cut up the cauliflower head.  If you are not like me (hating stems), cut the stems so that you create flat planes, which will help caramelize the stems.  Cut the florets on planes as well.

Place in a bowl or large measuring cup and drizzle with olive oil.  Turn over and over with a spatula until evenly coated, but not drenched.  Do this in batches if needed.  You will use more olive oil than you will for broccoli, so don't worry about that.  You want them to glisten a bit.

Place the large pieces on the pan and set aside all the small bits that break off.  I have found, in cutting up cauliflower, that if you stick a knife in the stem and twist it, the floret will split without small bits falling off.

Coat the cauliflower with a generous layering of smoked paprika and sea salt.  First, I put a small pinch of salt on each single floret.  Then, I shook the paprika over each floret.  You want to be really generous in this.  I thought for sure it would come out too salty, but it did not.

Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.  Whilst roasting, oil and season the broken off bits.  Then, add them to the pan and roast for an additional 15-25 minutes.  You want crispy, but not burned.


Myrtle's Note:  Frankly, I am not really wanting to be a cauliflower person, but I am trying to broaden my horizons.  Frankly, the resulting roasting, even after an additional 10 minutes, was more akin to  steamed than roasted.  So, I upped the temperature to match how I roast broccoli.  And, frankly, I completely ignored the directions as to how much olive oil and paprika.  I like to put my broccoli in a large measuring cup with olive oil and toss it so it gets a good coating, yet thin, all over.  Then I sprinkled on the spices.  The author was right in that being liberal in salting it is a good thing. I was liberal, for me, but still needed more.  So, I took off the recommended measurements.  Be brave.  Be bold.  Season away.

Yield:  4 servings


Adapted from:  http://theshiksa.com/2011/12/06/smoky-roasted-cauliflower/