Friday, January 17, 2014

Peanut Butter Honey Truffles

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 –1 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (if your peanut butter already has salt, skip this)
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2-3 tablespoons sweetened cocoa powder

Directions:

Pulse the oats in a blender for 30-45 seconds till they become a powdery flour. In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter, honey, vanilla, salt and oat flour. Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll them in the cocoa to coat. Place on a large cookie sheet covered in wax paper and refrigerate for
30 minutes to chill. Serve cold. Store in the refrigerator or, better yet, the freezer.

Myrtle's Note:  I feel there is just not enough ground oats in this and so add more, up to doubling the original amount.  The key is just how ... oily ... the natural peanut butter I picked is.  Since I very much dislike coconut, I changed the dusting to sweetened cocoa powder.  However, the last time I made this, I also added cocoa to the recipe itself and liked it even better.  With the cocoa powder mixed in, there is a bit less of an explosion of honey to them and more of a balanced taste.  For what it's worth, I regularly double this recipe since it takes a bit of effort to do the rolling out and dusting part.  


Yield: 25