Thursday, August 4, 2016

Sweet Potato Roti

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup mashed sweet potato
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt


Directions:

Steam the sweet potato.  I have found that one large sweet potato generally yields a cup.  Baking will not provide enough moisture, so be sure to steam it.

Whilst the potato is still hot, peel it and mash it up until it is completely soft.

In a wide, shallow bowl, mix together the flour and salt.  Then add the mashed sweet potato whilst the potato is still hot.  Use a fork at first, or a soft spatula, to keep from burning your fingers.  Once the sweet potato is thoroughly mixed in, continue mixing with your fingers, gathering the mixture with your fingers, grouping it together, and pressing it down in the center of the bowl.  Basically, starting to knead the mixture until it forms a soft dough.  At this point, STOP KNEADING so that you do not end up with tough roti.

Put the ball of soft dough on a floured workspace and gently roll it into a log.  Cut into six pieces.  Roll each piece into a small ball, dust with flour, and put back into your bowl.

One at a time, roll out the roti, using sufficient flour to keep the dough from sticking, but only just that.  You can roll out all the roti at once or, like me, you can roll, cook, roll, cook, and repeat until you are done.

Cook on a non-stick griddle over medium heat until done.  When you first begin to see tiny bumps in the roti, flip it over.  Then, when the bumps appear again, flip it again.  You can continue flipping it from side to side as the roti puffs up from the steam cooking it from within.  Be sure to keep the cooked roti covered with a cloth until serving.


Myrtle's Note:  I LOVE this recipe!  I cannot believe 1) that you can make flatbread from sweet potato and 2) you can make flatbread from just two ingredients.  I would highly recommend watching the video, so that you can see how the dough is kneaded and cooked.  I made this with all purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, and bread flour, trying each flour variation to see what impact they had.  The white whole wheat flour did work, but the roti were not quite as soft.  They tasted rather "nutritious" to me and were not really my cup of tea, but the sweet potato flavor still came through.  The bread dough actually made them a bit more chewy, I think.  I thought it would add to the recipe, but really I prefer the all purpose flour.  What I like best about this recipe is that it is a 1:1 ratio of flour to mashed sweet potato.  So, for example, today I made the roti using just 1/3 cup:1/3 cup so that I only had two roti.  As a single person, that is all I needed.  All my other dough, flatbread included, I freeze.  However, I am not sure that this will freeze well.  And given that it takes just 10 minutes to steam a sweet potato in the microwave (I put a bowl of water in there next to the sweet potato), making the dough fresh takes just a few minutes.  As I said at the outset, I am in LOVE with this recipe.  It makes for incredibly flavorful flatbread!!  UPDATE:  I tried added salt, just to see what would happen, and I think that the flatbread was the best that I have made it thus far.  Since I was using the 1/3 cup recipe, I used just a heavy pinch of salt and mixed it into the flour.  I changed the recipe accordingly.


Yield:  Six servings

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRj0tPEjcBY