Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Stove-to-Oven Fillet Mignon

Ingrediants:

  • Fillet mignon
  • olive oil
  • butter
  • salt
  • pepper
  • aromatics of your choice


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Directions:

Set the steak on the counter for a half hour in order to come to room temperature.  Oil both sides, safflower has the highest smoke point.  Then, salt and pepper very liberally both sides.

Heat a pan to really, really hot by allowing it to rest in the oven as it is preheating then putting on a medium high flame.   Sear both sides (2-3 minutes each depending on the thickness of your fillet), without touching the meat as it sears.

Add aromatics and some butter to the pan.  Suggested aromatics are garlic, thyme, rosemary, bayleaves, etc.

Finish in the oven (5-7 minutes, from medium rare to well done).
Move to the plate.  Scoop some of the butter from the pan and drizzle it atop the steak.  Let rest 5 minutes.

Do not cut into the meat at any time during the process.


Myrtle's Note:  I absolutely stink at cooking steaks.  Since all my grilling efforts have been failures, I wanted to explore the stove-to-oven method and have, as I am now wont to do, been watching YouTube videos and Googling lots.  I settled on information from two different sources and started.  Pictured is a fillet pinwheel.  I wanted to try it before I did the plain fillet mignon.  It was rather tasty, although a bit more done than I wanted.  I need to remember just how much a steak will finish once it is taken away from its heat source.