Sunday, November 3, 2013

English Toffee Bits Bars

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted
  • 1 cup of tightly packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup English Toffee Bits
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Directions:

Lightly grease and flour an 8x8 baking pan and set aside.  Mix flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.

Whisk together melted butter and brown sugar.  Add egg and vanilla and whisk.  Slowly add in flour mixture until blended.  Fold in toffee bits.

Spread into pan and bake approximately 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Myrtle's Note:  When comparing blondie recipes, many that had added ingredients suggested 1/2 to 1 cup.  This original recipe called for 1/3 butterscotch chips, but I wanted to use English Toffee Bits.  I went with 1/2 cup based on the amount of batter in the bowl.  I do not know why the cooking time nearly doubled, but I finally took mine out at 36 minutes.  The edges were crispy, but the centers were incredibly soft.  Next time, I believe I would try to remain firm and leave them in longer, perhaps 40 minutes.  For reference, I baked them in my grandmother's old aluminum 8x8 pan.

Yield:  9 bars


Source: adapted from http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/blondies/