Saturday, August 23, 2014

Spicy Pulled Chicken

Ingredients:

2.5–3 pounds chicken breasts
12 ounces beer (Honey Brown Lager)
12 ounces orange juice
1 vidalia onion
5-6 cloves of garlic
2 heaping tablespoons honey
2–3 chipotle peppers and all the adobo sauce from the can
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


Directions:

Mince garlic and set aside.  Peel and quarter onion and set aside.

Dump the can of chipotle peppers and adobe sauce into a small bowl (or 2-cup glass measuring cup). Pour about 1/3 of the beer over the peppers to wash off the adobe sauce.  Then, pick out all but 2-3 chipotle peppers.  Two are plenty spicy to me.  Three makes your mouth burn and long for drink.  If you are brave, feel free to use more.  Using a mini-food processor, puree the peppers with a bit of the beer adobe liquid.

In a dutch oven, lay in the chicken breast.  Tuck the quartered onions in the open spaces.  Top with minced garlic.  Pour in the orange juice and the rest of the beer.  Add salt, pepper, cumin, and honey.  Add the adobo/beer liquid and the puréed peppers.  Use a rubber spatula to swirl everything around a bit. Cover and place into the oven.

Cook for two and a half hours, turning the chicken in the pot after an hour and then again after a second hour.   Remove and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes, before pulling apart.

I recommend serving as tacos with sour cream, grated cheese, shredded lettuce, and topped with applewood smoked bacon.  You could also serve with diced tomatoes for those out there in the world who believe eating tomatoes is actually something good to do.


Myrtle's Note:  Since I am near addicted to the Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork tacos I've been eating, I have longed for a chicken option ...  mostly because I wanted to have bacon on my tacos.  My problem is that the rest of the world believes that using a slow cooker will not result in culinary disaster and seemingly everyone else also believes that you should use thighs for pulled chicken. I am a white meat kind of gal and so had to work out a recipe for myself. I also had to try and figure out the cooking time, since I figured chicken breasts would cook far sooner than a pork sirloin roast.  I used 24 ounces of liquid because the pulled pork recipe did.  I think it would be interesting to try it with straight orange juice, but I have enjoyed cooking with beer.

Yield: ~10  servings (filling for two tacos or one bun)




Inspired from:  http://www.homesicktexan.com/2013/09/chilorio-mexican-pulled-pork.html and http://www.cookingandbeer.com/2014/06/ipa-honey-chipotle-slow-cooker-chicken/