Friday, August 1, 2014

Maple Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Ingredients:
  • 12 ounces carrots
  • 12 ounces parsnips
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
  • sea salt
  • McCormack® Peppercorn Medley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


Directions:

Lightly spray metal pan with olive oil and set aside.  Mince fresh thyme and set aside. Peel carrots and parsnips and cut into matchsticks.

In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, and thyme.  Place the vegetables into a large, shallow bowl and pour 1/3 of the marinade.  Toss thoroughly.  Pour another 1/3.  Toss thoroughly.  Pour the rest.  Toss thoroughly.

Spread out onto your pan.  Sprinkle with 2-3 pinches of salt.  Dust with pepper.  Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, toss, sprinkle with salt and dust with pepper again.  Cook for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, toss, and cook for another 15-20 minutes.

Serve warm.


Myrtle's Note:  I took down the amount of vegetables a bit because, as I was chopping them into matchsticks, I thought I had enough for four servings and I always like more sauce or marinade that most recipes provide.  I substituted fresh thyme for dried.  And I did not reserve some of the marinade for "drizzling" afterwards because it is really thick and I couldn't picture drizzling actually happening.  I found them to be a bit tacky, as in candy, but not overly sweet.  Nor were they mustardy in flavor.  This dish was more of a warm and comforting kind of dish than the Zesty Roasted Rutabaga and Carrots, which can be served cold as well.


Yield:  4 servings

Source:  http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/11/14/maple-roasted-carrots-parsnips/