Thursday, August 25, 2016

Poached Chicken (Forgotten)

Ingredients:
  • chicken breast
  • Redmond's® Real Salt
  • McCormack's® Peppercorn Medley
  • aromatics of your choice
  • water (or liquid of your choice)

Directions:

If your chicken is not even thickness, pound it a bit, but do not over do it and end up with thin chicken.  Salt and pepper each side.

Place chicken breast(s) in a lidded pot.  If poaching several breasts at a time, use a pot that will hold them in a single layer. Add your aromatics and enough cold water to cover the chicken by two inches.

Bring to a simmer then cover and simmer for 1 minute only.  Remove from heat and leave to cool for 90 minutes without removing the lid. 

When ready to use, strain poaching liquid and reserve for later use as stock.

Myrtle's Note:  I was initially worried about this method, because when I tried it the first time, I thought the meat looked pink on the bottom.  However, it was ever so slightly brown from resting on the bottom of the pan, I guess.  Anyway, I panicked and poached it some more using the traditional method.  The second time, I put one of the two sprigs of thyme that I used beneath the chicken and actually brought it to a hard boil before turning the heat back down.  I am sure that was probably not necessary.  I am calling this method the forgotten method because it sits in the warm water for so long.  I think I prefer the traditional method, but this would be helpful when you have lots of other things to cook since you can set it aside and forget about it for a long while.  This method does result in the most aromatic chicken of the three methods.