Thursday, October 5, 2017

Colonial Brown Bread


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2  teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Directions:

Grease and flour a 9-inch pan and set aside.

Stir together the flours, sugar, salt, and soda.  Add the buttermilk.  Stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Fold into the pan and level out the batter.

Bake for one hour.


Myrtle's Note:  I had to cut the recipe in half and made mistakes on the first three attempts at trying this recipe because baking maths are difficult for me now.  I persevered because it is a favorite of my dear friend Mary.  And I like old recipes!  I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat Bread.  The bread is close-textured, moist, and sort of a nutty sweet flavor.  I slathered it with Pulgra's European butter.  Mighty, mighty tasty!


Yield:  1 loaf

Source:  http://www.cooks.com/recipe/yr8ja9e8/colonial-brown-bread.html