Monday, September 9, 2013

Sautéed Summer Squash with Ginger, Garlic, and White Wine

Ingredients:



Directions:

[This is another Myrtle-doesn't-measure recipe that I wanted to remember because I forget the things I like to eat, that I know how to cook, and this bit of inspiration turned out rather tasty to me.]

Wash the summer squash, cut off both ends back to the seeds, and slice into rounds.  I think of a summer squash per person as a serving.  The photo below shows one cooked.

Toss the slices into a large frying pan with butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and ginger.  I used, perhaps, a tablespoon of butter for the squash, but I would not use a tablespoon per squash.  By this I mean, when I am doubling or increasing quantities, I measure by eyeballing coverage of the bottom of the pan.  It should not dry out, but neither should the squash drown in everything.

I have linked to my favorite way of using garlic and ginger, specifically the rather convenient product by Gourmet Gardens.  So, my measuring is squishing out measurements of minced tubes.  In this case, I did about an inch or what might be a rounded teaspoon of both garlic and ginger.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I added the wine after the butter, salt, pepper, ginger, and garlic were all mixed around in the pan.  I had left over Savon Blanc and poured in a generous dumping from the bottle, knowing the alcohol would burn off as the squash cooked.  Somewhere between an 1/8 to a 1/4 cup, I would guess.

Sauté on medium heat, turning frequently until nicely browned.